Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 May 2006 13:44:30 -0400
From:         Brian Honan <cartruckbus@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      VW brake caliper Question(non vanagon)

It's Sunday so I figured a little non vanagon question would not hurt. Call me a little lazy , but I thought I would ask this question before I tried it to perhaps save me a 20 min or so.

Rear disk brake calipers on my 87 Jetta-

They are a bad design, even the guy who sold them told me this. The E brake does not want to work or they don't want to work.

In this perticular case, the piston seems to be stuck in there. I get NO brake fluid out of the bleeder with it open even with my foot jamed on the peddle. It would seem as if the piston is so far pushed down that the fluid can not even get out. So if I screw the piston out, will it allow the fluid to come out and give it a head start ?

This all dependes on how the piston is threaded into the cylinder. If there is a cylinded that is pushed in too far would unthreading the piston out of that cylinder matter ?

As I said I could just go try this but thought some ones else out there may have insight to these PITA brakes.

Sorry for the off topic, just thought I would run it by the list, I will end up just trying it withinn the next hour or so and report my findings.