Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 May 2006 15:57:59 -0400
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Mirror Retrofit?
Comments: To: River Clan <ri@RIVERCLAN.ORG>

At 12:10 PM 5/1/2006 -0700, River Clan wrote: >Just got some power mirrors for me westy. > >What's the process of making them work? Is it a standard harness?

I believe there are a couple of harnesses involved, the in-door harnesses (which also include wiring for power locks & windows), and a crossover harness from one door to the other.

I didn't bother with the factory harness, since the wires were already cut off on the mirrors, I just built my own.

>Anyone have the switches available used?

I got one with the mirrors, the guy who sold it to me said that particular switch came from a Dasher, same part # as the vanagon. Probably the same part # used on all VWs (and possibly Audis) of similar vintage.

>Is it just a hole in the door panel? Or are they special door panels?

My '85 had a pre-cut hole in the panel, I just needed to cut through the vinyl. I have no idea when VW added that cut-out in the panel material, but it was certainly a pleasant surprise; since I was worried about how I was going to get the switch positioned in the stock location.

Good Luck!

Tim