Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 May 2006 14:23:18 -0700
From:         Michael Diehr <md03@XOCHI.COM>
Subject:      Battery Charge Mystery

I have an 85 westy with an optima yellow top house battery connected using the normal relay setup (e.g. a separate relay for the house battery, triggered by the blue alternator wire). The starting battery is a no-name FLAPS battery, relatively new. The van sits for days, sometimes weeks at times w/o being driven. Recently, twice, I would drive the van with the headlights on after not being run for days. Drive about 20-30 minutes, then turn the headlights off and go into a store. Come back and it won't start. Removing the battery cover and doing a self-jump (from the house battery to the starting battery) and it'd start right up. So I was wondering if there was some weird discharge thing going on, such that the optima was stealing charge from the starting battery.

Just yesterday, it happened again (this time the headlights were not on), and I repeated the jumper cable trick, but this time it wouldn't start! Checked both the battery voltages, and they were low but at least 50% charged (12.4 volts ish). Scratched my head a bit. Tried starting again a few times with the jumper cables attached -- it really sounds like a dead battery (e.g. when you turn the key to the "crank" position, the seatbelt buzzer noise drops as if the voltage is dropping). Took off the jumper cables, wiggled the battery connections, and suddenly it would start with just the starting battery.

It looked like the smaller red wire was loose at the battery terminal.

My theory is that this may have been the problem all along -- that my "self jumpstart" was a red herring -- the act of connecting the jumper cables just happened to wiggle the battery connectors enough to make it have a better contact. Since it is an intermittent problem, I can't be sure it's fixed, but it seems like a decent theory. Does this make sense? On the hot side of the battery, what is the function of the smaller red wire (it's perhaps 2 gauge)?