Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 May 2006 19:23:43 -0400
From:         Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@WHISPLLC.COM>
Subject:      Re: 83.5 Runs for about 4 seconds
Comments: To: "Oxroad@AOL.COM" <Oxroad@AOL.COM>

Hi Jeff 1st Prime the fuel pump. make sure the fuel tank is at least 1/2 full. when you disconnect the fuel line to the pump without lowering does fuel come out the hose?? if not top up the tank it should flow also make sure or loosen your gas cap to let air in. sometime insects like small areas and plug them. I would also check and recheck all vacuum lines once you check them check them again if they are the braided style they crack under the braiding and look fine but are bad. c-ya Jonce

>My Vanagon has been sitting for about 6 months without running for a myriad >of complicated reasons--most having to do with injury, finances, and work >scehdule. It ran fine when I parked it 6 months earlier.

>Finally getting back to the bus I started it and it runs like a bear for >about 5 seconds. (5 Seconds is actually longer than it sounds in the scheme of >things.) It runs good and strong in that time at idle without touching the >accelerator. Then it just dies all together.

>I'm not sure if touching the acclerator will kill it--but I think it will. >It's difficult to check because I can start it and let it run the 5 seconds >about 5 times. Then she doesn't want to start at all.

>I've checked all the vacuum lines and they seem to be in good condition. >Nothing clogging the air filter. The gasoline does not smell of varnish, and I >think if that were the problem it would not start at all. The fuel filter >before the pump is due for a replacement, but I did remove it to check it and can >blow through it with ease--I'm not sure if that proves it's not clogged. I >temporarily reinstalled it.

>I'm suspecting the fuel pump. But I'm not all that savvy with the electric >pump system.

>My theory is the pump can get up enough pressure to start the engine but >can't keep the supply or pressure up to keep her going.

>The pump is making an intermittment noise that can be heard at the pump. It >can;t be heard from the driver's seat. The frequency of the noise is in sync >with a noise from the fuel pump relay. I'm not sure if the two relays in the >private "high voltage" box are both for the fuel pump. But at least one of >them is definately making an audible rapid clicking sound in about one second >intervals (one second on one second off) when the ignition switch is on with >the bus NOT running. The sound from the pump is in the same one second >intervals and sounds like it could be the sound of the pump normally running with a >slight squeak and a slight sucking sound.

>I'm not sure if this pulsing is normal, but I suspect it's not.

>I replaced the fuel lines and fuel regulator about 4 years ago. So I guess >not all that recently. The pump appears to be the original.

>I'm looking for suggestions on what to look for and how to tell if the fuel >supply/pump/relays could be the culpret--or what else I might be looking for.

>And it's worth mentioning again, for those 5 seconds the bus runs it sounds >great.

>Thanks, >Jeff >83.5 Westy >LA,CA

>-- >No virus found in this incoming message. >Checked by AVG Free Edition. >Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.5.1/327 - Release Date: 4/28/2006

Jonce Fancher

57 Single Cab 66 Sunroof Bug 66 Variant Squareback 71 Sunroof Bus 75 911S Sunroof 84 Vanagon "Godfried" 85 Vanagon Westi 2003 10 Passenger Sprinter

Fancher's Upholstery Inc. - www.fanchers.com Not-A-VW Club- http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransont3/notavwclub/