Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 May 2006 07:00:50 -0700
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: bent pushrods... overheated...
Comments: To: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

what are the numbers for a engine not to run well at meaning to hot? aircoolers run hotter then water? say like 600+ degree bad?

just worried about my bug running to hot these days.

Thanks,

-----Original Message----- >From: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> >Sent: May 10, 2006 6:12 AM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: bent pushrods... overheated... > >Usually the engine gets so hot it drops a valve seat or the valve seizes in >the guide (common in the Air Cooled Vanagons). >If the engine has gotten this hot then it is usually toast. You will see >major scuffing of the cylinders because the piston expanded so big from >overheating that it actually rubbed the inside of the cylinder wall. And if >you took the bearings out you would see scoring because the oil got so hot >that it lost it's ability to act as a cushion and the bearings actually >started touching against each other. > >I would just tell him that if he wants you to do the job that you are going >to put a good used motor in there or he can go somewhere else. Why should >you be holding the bag because this guy wants the impossible? He wants you >to take his problem and turn it into something great. Instead his problem >becomes your problem. If the guy doesn't want to do the job right, just tell >him you can't help him. If he has a brain he'll be back begging you to put >in the good used motor. If he doesn't then you just dodged a bullet. >Either way you win! > >Just my opinion, >Ken Wilford >John 3:16 >http://www.vanagain.com >http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com >http://www.eurovan.org >http://www.vwcabrio.org >Phone: (856)-327-4936 >Fax: (856)-327-2242 > >-----Original Message----- >From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of >Matthew >Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 7:59 PM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: bent pushrods... overheated... > > >folks, >someone random asked me to do a head job on their 91 >syncro westy (i guess the 4 vw busses in the driveway >gave away my secret!). he said he has a bad head >gasket, but also bent some pushrods. Uhm... that >doesn't sound good. How do you bend a pushrod? Seized >rocker arm from overheating and then non-seized cam >still pushing up those lifters.... he asked me to >just do the heads (and will pay) but am guess that if >it got THAT hot, that he has a hosed shortblock (which >i happen to have available in my garage for sale for >him...). interesting. > >what are folks charging for a head job (labor, no >parts or machining costs)? how do you warranty this >work? big crapshoot here.... > >thanks >matthew > > > > >"Racing with the wind and flirting with death >So have a cup of coffee and catch your breath" > >__________________________________________________ >Do You Yahoo!? >Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around >http://mail.yahoo.com