Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 May 2006 09:17:29 -0700
From:         wheelierider <iridewheelies@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      New cd player

I just installed my new cd player. A Nakamichi CD-400. I believe this could be the best head unit I 've found for our dash. It sounds great, has a lot of power, easy to use and the best thing - it almost looks stock!

I needed to get a new head unit. I was getting frustrated with all the full color animated displays and motorized faceplates on most new car stereos I saw at all the local electronics stores. My brother owns a small car audio shop in Olympia, Wa and he just brought in the nakamichi line. I told him what I wanted and the cd-400 fit the bill exactly.

It has very easy to use controls. You almost don't even have to read the manual. The backlighting can be set for either green or amber. I chose amber to match my dash. It goes perfect with my new gowesty amber cigar lighter. You can make the unit go completly dark at night too.

It has an AUX input for my mp3 player. I haven't been very impressed with the interface units that let you control your ipod through the deck, too slow. I can use the controls on the front of the mp3 player faster and safer. I have an iriver player instead of an ipod so a simple headphone jack input is better. I use the AUX input to plug in the laptop to watch movies also.

It sounds great, blew away my old alpine minidisc player. It has front, rear and sub pre-outs as well as a high power internal amp.

The best part is the understated look. I am planning on removing "nakamichi cd-400" from the face of the unit. I would like to write "volkswagen" or "hiedleburg" to try to make it look even more stock. I would appreciate any ideas on how to do it. I believe having a stock looking stereo is more of a theft deterent than removing my faceplate.

I think the retail price is around $500. It is not cheap but it is very high quality. Made in Malaysia, I hear that means it has good semi-conductors or something. It has an overall high quality feel. When you insert and remove the cd it feels solid, hard to explain but you know it when you feel it. I installed it my self, easy.

If you live in the south Puget Sound area you can get one from Jesse at Audio Northwest. He likes vanagons too. Tell him Lee sent you. I don't know where else you can get them, they are not very common in the states.

http://www.nakamichi.com/home.html follow link to in car entertainment

http://www.audionorthwest.com/ my brother's shop

Lee