Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 May 2006 17:47:33 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Has anyone used the Bus Depot or Cip1 body sheet metal patch
              panels especially on a Doka?
Comments: To: "syncro@yahoogroups.com" <syncro@yahoogroups.com>,
          syncrodoublecabs@yahoogroups.com

Hello Folks,

My apologies for the cross post. I am working on my 2wd Doka and figured it is probably easier to replace the front and rear wheel arches rather than fixing the ones on the truck now. I thought about cutting the pieces from my parts van but that seems twice the work if new panels are available.

I see Bus Depot offers something very similar to CIP1 in Canada. They are likely the same manufacturer anyway. The pictures look very similar.

Upon inspection, I noted that Dokas and Vanagons have their front wheel arches welded in the area covered by the carpets. Do the patch panels replicated this or are they just pressed to replace a smaller section? I have the same quandary about the rear arches. Since I am working with a Doka, the bodies appear slightly different in this area. the patches look like they would fit like the stock panels. I hope I can just remove the spot welds on the stock panels and fit these new panels in.

The other critical area of damage on my Doka is in the area surrounding the treasure chest doors. This Doka was used by a smuggler. They smashed in the treasure chest doors so thy can Bondo the edges and make it appear that there nothing under the cargo bed. Customs is wise to this. They got catch. I'm not trying to undo all the damage the smugglers did plus repair the areas Customs cut open on the truck.

I am very interested in feedback from those who have actually done this work and/or used the available aftermarket patch panels before I go off ordering them

TIA, -- BenT