Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 May 2006 23:22:43 -0400
From:         robertmstewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Accelerator Cable - Broken?
Comments: To: Jim Felder <felder@knology.net>,
          Mike Collum <collum@verizon.net>,
          Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@vanagonparts.com>, Doug <vanagons@cox.net>,
          Zoltan <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>

Jim, Mike, Jeff, Doug, & Zoltan and everyone else...

Thanks for the info, when I was adjusting the idle I was pushing the throttle forward and once in a while I revved it. When I was done, I shut the engine off and lubricated the throttle area, the springs and I know what did wrong.. I had the engine off and pushed the throttle cable forward all the way and let it snap back, I did this a couple of times after I lubricated everything there and that action must have made something come off.

I will attempt to take a look at the pedal connection to the throttle cable on Monday. I am baby sitting tomorrow 2 little girls, my niece's. One is 8 months, the other is 4yrs old. They will consume my time so it will not have to wait till then.

I did check the engine bay area and did not see anything that looked different from before I started to mess with it, so I am assuming that the source of the issue is under the pedal, somewhere in the cable connector under the pedal. The pedal is totally dead, no pressure at all.

If it is something in the engine bay I am not seeing it, or maybe am not sure what I am suppose to be seeing. The entire throttle area and all the connectors and linkages appear to be the same to me.

Looking for something that I am not sure what it looks like is like trying to find a needle in a haystack without knowing what the needle looks like.

I looked in the Haynes Manual and Bentley to see the linkage under the pedal and I could see how something there could come loose.

Jeff, you mentioned to "Check at the transmission where the throttle cable connects. It attaches via a ball socket and I'll bet it popped off." Where do I look for that? I noticed the throttle cable is angled there as it goes back above the transmission, I assume I have to crawl under the van and see it's disconnected?

I have never taken the spare out before, guess it's better that I do it in the driveway then on the open road for the first time. Any advice for a first timer who has to crawl under the van? Best ways? Eye protection yes, anything else?

If I need to replace the cable how is the best done in your driveway? Or can it be done? Do I need to jack the van up on both sides?

Thanks for every ones advice! Rob -- Rob NYC/Long Beach, NY 88 Wolfsburg, Silver

on 5/13/06 8:55 PM, Zoltan at zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET wrote:

> I agree. I think, that the little bolt, that holds the end of the cable in > place in that little cylinder that is fitting in that arm on the throttle > valve, may have gotten lubricated now and slipped off because it was not > tight enough before. Just thinking. > Most probably you have no real problem just something got out of order. > Zoltan > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Jim Felder" <felder@KNOLOGY.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2006 5:26 PM > Subject: Re: Accelerator Cable - Broken? > > > Robert, > > Be sure that something you lubricated hasn't slipped off or out of > place. Just pull the hatch and look. It's possible that the cable > broke, but it would be a huge coincidence that would have served you > better by having a brick of gold fall from an airplane into a safe > place in your back yard. > > Jim

on 5/13/06 8:26 PM, Jim Felder at felder@knology.net wrote: _______________

Rob, I kinda thought your van was an auto, but was too tired to search for that info. Your gas pedal ass'y is above the spare tire, and there is a plastic black cover that protects it from the weather. No pedal usually means that the cable that runs from the pedal ass'y to the auto tranny is broken, or has come undone. The accelerator cable is prone to breakage, and all the vendors sell them. The action from the tranny to the throttle housing is a solid rod, bent just so to go through. If your inspection shows a broken cable, it's not that bad of a job to change yourself. Doug in CT

_____________________ Troubleshooting from afar is certainly not easy. I would first check the most obvious ... like checking to make sure the keeper is still on the end of the throttle cable end where it attaches at the throttle body. Then look under the accelerator pedal and make sure the rod is snapped into the pedal where it will do its thing.

Mike

Check at the transmission where the throttle cable connects. It attaches via a ball socket and I'll bet it popped off.

Cheers,

Jeff