Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 May 2006 16:50:11 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      I Love My New Cruise Control (Long)
Comments: To: Wet Westies <Wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>,
          vwvan <VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com>

One of the features that prompted me to buy the Starwagen (my '90 Westy) was the fact that it had a cruise control. Although it was an aftermarket add on, not factory, I really wanted a cruise control. In the past, in my '85 Westy, I had made several long trips from Seattle to Big Bear in California and back, mostly time constrained so I spent a lot of time on I-5 getting there and back. Each time I swore I'd never make the trip again without air conditioning and cruise control. Starwagen had both and both worked. Well, kinda. The cruise control was flakey as hell, very slow to engage and erratic in its so called control. I even added a vacuum accumulator in the line to try to help it but no help. But when working it was great on the long haul. About 18 months ago it finally gave up the ghost for good.

I had looked into the possibility of a complete new cruise control but really didn't know what make or model to order. More important, I had no one to put it in. Several times on the WetWesties list Julianna Theonnes had mentioned that her brother Steve was an expert on putting cruise controls into Vanagons. But he was in Albany Oregon, a long haul from my home in Lynnwood, just North of Seattle. Then opportunity knocked. There was a WetWesties event (Tax Relief Campout now know as the Mud Fest) scheduled just outside of Corvalis (next to Albany) for one weekend and a second event, the Stretch Party, scheduled in Albany the next weekend. I was going to be traveling with Phil Zimmerman to both events, hanging around in the area for the week, as we wound our way to Hollister California for Syncro de Mayo. So I contacted Steve Hiltbrunn, Juianna's brother, at the business where he is Shop Manager, Class A Audio, in Albany. He agreed to look at my existing cruise control to determine if it could be fixed. After replacing a missing magnet on the pickup, no joy. Then he carefully checked all the wiring and switches, no problem there. Conclusion: the old servo was toast. And no replacements available, to old a model. But wait, there's more! Just up the street from Steve's shop, at the local Shucks, sat two of the exact model Audiovox cruise control that we needed for a new installation! I snatched one up (Schucks insisted that I pay for it) and made an appointment for Steve to install it on Monday. Spent the weekend at the Stretch Party (in the driveway of Steve's home) and delivered Starwagen to Steve at his shop on Monday morning. Four hours later the old system was pulled and the new in. Steve handed me the keys and I took it for a test drive. Fantastic! Worked perfect, absolutely beautiful.

And it got a good workout over the next three weeks down to California and back to Lynnwood. Not a hiccup, exactly what I had wanted.

The bottom line here is this. If you live in the NW, especially in Oregon, and want to add a cruise control to your Vanagon, contact Steve Hiltbrunn at Class A Audio in Albany, Or. Phone 541-928-2207. Be sure to talk to Steve ahead of time. He will explain why you may be better off buying the cruise control yourself and having him install it. The model number is Audiovox CCS100 *http://tinyurl.com/ycbs *and may be available off the shelf at you local FLAPS. If you want to spend more money, and complicate the installation a little, Audiovox has a variety of options that can be used with this setup including an RF module that mounts on the steering wheel and eliminates the little box on the dash. I'm pleased to say I have not found the controls on the dash to be no problem at all, in fact I like it better there than the old stalk control that was on the steering column.

One last note. If you are having problems with your original VW cruise control, Steve probably is not interested in seeing it. He has, from past experience, formed a firm opinion on that piece of equipment.