Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 May 2006 22:42:16 +0100
From:         Niall Mac Caughey <nmacc@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: E85 & fuel pumps

Jeffrey Schwaia wrote:

>The only way I would consider switching to ethanol is if I decided to brew my own. Not terribly difficult and it seems that costs generally run in the .75 to 1.25 per gallon range (after the cost of the still). Not bad...

Don't forget there are some other costs to be considered Jeff. All distilleries have to allow for a percentage of shrinkage due to the volatility of the product; in this case it might prove to be "drinkage", especially if the refrigerator is making ice.

John Bange was very helpful on the subject of E85. I'd love to try it out, unfortunately it would be a little inconvenient at this time, as here in Ireland there is exactly one pump in the entire country that dispenses E85.

John did mention the fuel pump however, which raises a question: what is the operating pressure of the pump? I ask because my pump is groaning and I'd like to have a spare on board before our summer trip to France.

A replacement Bosch pump from my local VW parts guy is more than twice the price of the more common (also Bosch) unit fitted to the contemporary Golfs. The parts guy is generally very knowledgeable on VW parts, but in this case he didn't know the answer, but guessed the pressure from the Golf pump would be wrong.

I'm sure someone on the list knows the right answer :-)

Thanks,

Niall