Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 May 2006 16:53:49 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Lesson Learned: If It Ain't Broke......
Comments: To: Wet Westies <Wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>,
          vwvan <VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com>

File this under the heading of 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'. Two weeks prior to my recent trip I had a set of four used injectors rebuilt and put into Starwagen. Ran fine at first but the next weekend, on the way to Dash Point, I started having some running problem. No power from a stop, fine after 2000 rpm. I'd had a couple of other things done at the same time including some tweaking of the idle speed. My shop (Schaffner Motors) was to busy to get me in before I had to take off. The Westy ran fine on the highway but was using more gas than normal. Suspect was the injectors. I'd run a can of Seafoam through the gas tank with no help, then a bottle of Techron that cured the problem for about a half a tank of gas. Contacting the list and talking to people, Phil Zimmerman (who I was traveling with) suggested disconnecting the O2 sensor to see what effect that had. Problem cured! Ran great, but very rich (you could smell the extra fuel in the exhaust). I had an O2 sensor in the spares kit but decided to have a shop work on it. By now we were in the Albany-Corvalis area. Several list members urged me to contact Independent Auto Werks (formerly Bug Werks) in Corvalis. I explained the situation and they said they could squeeze me in in the morning. Dropped the Westy off about 0815, they called about 1030, fixed! After the O2 sensor was replaced there was still a problem, #2 not firing. Problem isolated to the injector and a used injector off their bench installed (later traded for a used one I had, no charge) and the throttle switch adjusted. Continued on the trip with Starwagen running better than I can remember for the next 2,600 plus miles.

The lesson driven home to me is if you are going to have work done before a planned long trip, have time enough to have any problems that come from the 'fixes' corrected before you have to leave. But also have available the extensive support network that exists in the VW community and especially with WetWesties.