Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 May 2006 22:08:33 -0400
From:         neil <goofymuso@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Refrigerator Service
Comments: To: Dave Vickery <davevickery@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hi Dave.

When I got my van, I had no idea how a Dometic 3 way fridge made things cool. Zero idea. But, I ended up servicing my refer on my own, (81 Westy) and couldn't have done it nearly as quickly/easily without the help of this list. Check out message archives. There's lots of useful info there.

When I got my Westy, the refer worked on AC, so I assumed it would work on DC/LP. It didn't work on LP, so I cleaned out combustion chamber, repaired Piezo connection, and got it working. It was certainly worth the time. I was prepared to buy a new refer, but now mine works fine. (though not certain how well it cools on DC) Even if it hadn't ended up working, I learned more about my refer and van, so was worthwhile regardless. BTW, I purchased a remote temp sensor (radio shack) and am finding it really useful.

You will find the info you need on this site. But if you like, check out my web site. The link is below in my sig. There is a link to the how/what I did to get my Dometic running, near bottom of my welcome page. Just read the disclaimer though.... heh heh ;^)

Cheers,

Neil. --- Dave Vickery <davevickery@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

> I bought a used fridge that doesn't cool too well > (to about 50 when about 80 > outside). It is a 91 model so not that old. I > previously had a 1990 one > that worked fine (got down to about 35 degrees when > about 85 outside--on max > of course), so I know they can work. > > Anyone have any experience cleaning one of these or > troubleshooting if it is > the combustion chamber, thermostat, cooling fan, or > whatever else it might > be? I thought I would try plugging it into 120 to > see if it cools any > better, but what would that tell me? Does the freon > or whatever gas is in > there ever need recharging? I had it out and laying > on it's side for a > while dirving the van around, and I heard that > turning them upside down and > shaking them can help. Does having it lay on it's > side count? My old one I > could hear the fan running when it was hot, I > haven't heard the fan come on > with this one, but wondering if that would be the > only thing wrong with it? > > Any suggestions appreciated. Maybe I should just > take it to an RV shop. > Ugghhh. > Thanks > Dave in Denver > 91 Westbreakia >

Neil Nicholson. 1981 air cooled Westfalia Cheap-o web site:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/tubanick/welcomewesty.html