Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 May 2006 05:17:34 -0700
From:         John Anderson <wvukidsdoc@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Lathe FS (really, its a convenient Vanagon part)

Well I've been off the list now for several years but having just picked up a syncro Westy for a price I couldn't pass I guess I'm back for a bit to ask a few specific questions. Anyway figured I'd make this post as well, as I'd as soon see it go to a list member as sell it on ebay. I have one of those 9x20" import Chinese bench lathes, with all the stuff that comes with it (steady and follow rests, thead indicator, yada, yada, yada.) This one is branded Central Machinery so I assume it is a Harbor Freight lathe, very little use by the past owner, very little use, only on aluminum and a few steel hydraulic fittings be me. Good condition generally, I replace the cheapo cast metal half nuts with the better ENCO bronze set and also the cross feed lead screw, the compound lead screw is rough from the factory, could use replaced (a good first project on the lathe actually) I got too lazy to do it as I soon replaced this lathe with a quality Austrian EMCO. Now the thing is what it is, there are countless websites discussing its merits and demerits, no tumble reverse so no cutting LH theads is a major one but probably trivial for most people, go searching and you'll find them. HF wants variously $600-$800 for it depending on sale status. I have $600 into this one and would like $500 from a list memeber. They tend to go about $550-$600 on ebay most of the time. Like Bob Hoover used to say, a lathe is good for countless little projects on a VW, and around the house for that matter if you are handy. I've done some pretty close tolerance work on this thing, if you take small cuts results are pretty good. In Morgantown WV, not interested in shipping, can deliver to DC, Pittsburg, etc.

John Anderson wvukidsdoc@yahoo.com

--------------------------------- Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.