Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 May 2006 13:27:04 -0400
From:         Kragen Sitaker <kragen@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      our US trip in a 1982 Vanagon

My wife and I recently bought this 1982 Volkswagen Vanagon, and we're driving around the country in it; have put about 1500 miles on it over the last few days. It has a few problems, but mostly is doing pretty well.

I just thought I'd send out a hello message to let everyone know what we're up to.

Here are the things we've fixed on the van since we got it a month ago:

- leaking fuel line (this is the only one we fixed before starting our trip on 2006-05-04) - floppy side mirrors - cracked windshield washer reservoir - low tire pressure - dead wiper blades - loosened screw that was creating too much friction on passenger sun visor - replenished low oil level - replaced fouled air filter - replaced broken window crank knob with a chunk of Shapelock

Here are the things that still need to be fixed:

- noisy transmission bearing - noisy in general; replace foam? - unreliable radio (doesn't turn on reliably) - right front radio speaker is silent - turn signals don't cancel - lousy gas mileage; may be normal and unfixable - stinky exhaust; may be normal and unfixable - totally dead spare tire of wrong size - driver window gasket falls down - heater doesn't work - gasoline leak from top of fuel tank - one pop-top joint missing its bolt and standoff - I'm not sure the dual-battery system is hooked up correctly to prevent the RV appliances from draining the starter battery - broken knobs on propane refrigeration system - fog light switch broke off instrument panel and is now recessed - odometer doesn't work - speedometer reads low because of oversized wheels - radio antenna is loose - awning is mildewy and needs scrubbing - as of today, the passenger side mirror won't roll up

Here are the things I'd like to improve:

- add engine temperature gauge (there's already a temperature sensor hooked up to the ECU, right?) - replace dashboard lights with red LEDs - add tachometer - add some kind of carrier on top of the van; right now we have a couple of boards bungeed to the top rails with nothing on top of them, plus a 7-gallon bottle of water, a 5-gallon solar shower, and an empty gasoline can. - add display of readouts from ECU (may require aftermarket ECU, possibly custom, but I think that would be a fun project)

I've been reading the list and learning a lot. Thank you all!