Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 May 2006 10:13:45 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine modifications needed to run E85?

> > Does anyone know what modifications would be needed > to the digijet system to make it compatible with E85?

A tweak of the timing, an adjustment of the AFM, and an inspection of the fuel system for alcohol-sensitive parts is about all you actually NEED. Alcohol has about 30% less energy per unit volume than gasoline, so you need to adjust the air metering for closer to 8:1 AFR or so to get the O2 sensor within self-tuning range. There's some debate over how bad it is to expose unprotected aluminum to E85 and its combustion byproducts, but I think the practical upshot is that it's not enough of a problem to worry about short term.

I suspect the injectors might need to be replaced,

It's not necessary, but your fuel flow at "max power" will be the same while your fuel has 20-30% less energy content, resulting in a loss of power. If you want the same amount of top end power, you'll need injectors that deliver a 30% or so greater volume of fuel per unit time over theI stock injectors. If you change injectors like that, the AFM won't need as much adjustment.

is the > fuel pressure a consideration?

Always a consideration with larger injectors, but I've never heard of anyone having problems unless the pump was already weak. Most FI fuel pumps have plenty of capacity. They generally seem to build them for high pressures and then let the pressure regulator take care of sending the excess back to the tank.

What about the catalytic > converter? >

If everything's tuned properly for E85, the cat will be fine. Some opine that a badly tuned gasoline engine is worse for a cat than a badly tuned alcohol engine.

Whether or not it's worth converting, I think that depends entirely on two things: 1) the availability of E85 and whether you can switch to using E85 only; and 2) whether E85 is cheap enough to be worth switching to: with 20-30% less energy per gallon, you need to be paying 20-30% less just to break even. The fuel injection systems on these old wasserboxer engines isn't really suited to "dual fuel". The O2 sensor is a narrowband model that requires manual adjustment of the AFM for "coarse tuning" in order for the sensor to be able to effectively manage "fine tuning". Unless you convert to E85 exclusively, you'll be stuck dialing in your AFM every time you switch. In order to have a really effective and convenient dual-fuel system, the best way is to pull the Digijet/Digifant and its narrow band O2 sensor and put in something like a Megasquirt with a wideband O2 sensor, which can have multiple, selectable "profiles" for whichever fuel blend you are filling with. The only drawback with that is that you can't really do any mixing, lest you end up with a mix that's something like "E43", for which you have no preset profile. If you intend to switch fuels more than 2 or 3 times a year, or want a true Flex-Fuel Vehicle, you'd need a "fuel composition sensor", which measures the alcohol:gasoline ratio and tunes the fuel injection system on the fly. The one drawback to the Megasquirt system is that it's not an off-the-shelf product, but rather an "open design" hobbyist/DIY sort of thing. You can buy pre-built MegaSquirt hardware kits, but the installation and configuration is still entirely up to the end user, and requires quite a bit of technical diddling to get it running. Definitely a "project" rather than simply an "upgrade". <http://www.megasquirt.info/> (type "e85" in the search box for specifics on MegaSquirt and flex-fuel). Interesting stuff. I wish I had time to climb the learning curve. There's even a very active "MegaSquirt List" you can subscribe to. I wonder what their equivalent of a "tire thread" is? You just KNOW they gotta have at least one...

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger"