Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 May 2006 23:22:32 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: audi based big brakes
Comments: To: mario m <vw_fool@HOTMAIL.COM>

The Syncro set looks identical to the set I got recently from BenT. The big improvement over other BB Kits is that the rotors are machined out on the inside (can't see that in these pix) to avoid contact with the hub. Also, the brake lines look like straight steel, or maybe braided? Not sure but am sure they don't look anything like the rubber one's that came in Ben's Overland kit. By the way, these rotors and pads, when compared side by side, make stock look like they came off a '77 Rabbit. Big difference.

I liked the direct bolt on, using only the 4 16mm bolts that held the stock carriers on, and eliminating the steel "S" lines at the calipers. The new rubber line runs all the way from the steel brake line down to the caliper. My opinion is that you will be verrrrry happy with this upgrade, I sure am.

And, I finally figured out that the pad retainers DO fit on very nicely, I'm just not that good of a mechanic and couldn't figure that out initially. Pic here: http://groups.msn.com/BobsPhotoShare/overlandbigbrakekit.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1018

or: http://tinyurl.com/rv4go

right front brake: http://groups.msn.com/BobsPhotoShare/overlandbigbrakekit.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1016

or: http://tinyurl.com/rk6e3 notice this shot has no retainer applied.

Bob