Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2006 09:08:35 -0700
From:         chris <vanagon@FRONTLEFTSPEAKERPOSSE.COM>
Subject:      suddenly clutch just gone?

for some reason these things never seem to happen when ive driven the van myself the day previous... and I wish it did, so I didn't have to wonder if these things are related to *how* the others drive it.

anyway, so I get up this morning, load up the dogs and get ready for a nice wake-up at the beach when I realize the clutch pedal just *whoomp* drops right to the floor with zero resistance.

admittedly I don't know a lot about how they work and thought at first it was some sort of cable given how much it dropped and how quickly, but im looking through the bently and don't actually see a cable, just all hydraulics.

checked the brake fluid resivour, and it was nearly a little DOT3 bottle low (from the MAX mark, just a bit below the MIN mark really.)

So I top that off, but its not getting anywhere. (nor did I think it was, even with as little as I know about the system.)

What can I check next?

Mine is an 81 aircooled if that makes a diff. I had the whole tranny replaced just last year, but didnt have the clutch done at the time as the PO claimed to have had done it not too long ago as is. (against the advice of the local mech that did the trans work.)

is this how a clutch goes out? Just out of the blue you hop it and the pedal drops to the floor? or IS there some cable somewhere and im just missing any reference to it in my Bently?

I hate it when the list of things that need to be addressed start growing larger than the list of things that are working well at the moment. grrrrr.

any help, suggestions, or misc tomfoolery is always welcome.

thanks.

-- Chris '81 (AC) Vanagon Westfalia 'Rocky' nor*cal

frontleftspeakerposse.com