Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2006 10:49:12 -0700
From:         Zoltan <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Germany
Comments: To: Jeff Gellman User <jeffg@MIKOEXOTICWEAR.COM>

Twice I bought one of those high top vans in Germany and have driven through twelve countries of Western Europe in three months at a time. I still think, it is the best way to see Europe that is really like a jewellery box with all the fine gems scattered all over. It was very cheap. The car was $2000 and the three months cost an other $2000 including food, gas, and the most expensive part being the entrance tickets to all the museums, churches, galleries and such. Plus the freeway use in Italy and France mostly. I did not go up the leaning tower of Pisa for $100. Venice, Rome, Pisa, Florence, Pompei, Barcelona, Madrid, Al Hambra, Seville, Gibraltar, the coast of Spain and Portugal, Lisbon, North West Spain with Pedrana of Seve Ballesteros', the cave paintings, then onto France's West coast of Normandy, then Bordeaux, La Mans, Paris, then Belgium, Holland, Danmark, more of Germany, Berlin, Nuremberg, Praga, Vienna, Budapest, yadi yadi yada, Athen, Olympia, Sparta, but most of all Finikundas at the Southern tip of the peninsula where they serve cold beer at a restaurant where the white tablecloths are gently fluttering in the breeze on the beach where the tables' legs are just missing the waves that creep out and almost get you, and while the sun is going down over the water's horizon, you look around and you see an old fisherman painting his boat with brush, and an other is swinging an octopus over his head to smash it against the rocks to kill it. It was a dry year, did not rain for eight month, there was no olives that year. It was a national tragedy there. We knew nothing of it here. The public swimming pool is the Mediterranian see, just at the boat ramp. Free of course. No fence anywhere you drive and can get in the water anywhere for a quick swim to cool down. Park on the beach for the night, stay as long as you wish. No police and such nuisance, only people. Everybody speaks English in Europe, almost. Even the French now. They say the Internet made the difference. With a tour as this, one would have in such a short time so many beutiful memories that will never diminish, that the money spent on it is not even considered. The car was sold later and the $2000 recovered. It was cheap. Never wanted to sleep in a hotel and only maybe once a day have eaten out. Europe can now be driven without borders and changing of different currencies. ETC I propose; this list should have at least one van in Europe for its members. The details can be worked out. There are a few members in Europe who could take care or look after them. The rental would be real cheap, I'm sure. We can afford a lot together. Individually, most of us could never afford it. Most guys only have a week or two the most and that would not make it worthwhile to buy a van and risk the selling after. Any of you have an idea to make it happen? Zoltan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Gellman User" <jeffg@MIKOEXOTICWEAR.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 3:17 AM Subject: Germany