Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2006 12:53:21 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Larger Wheels...
Comments: To: Aaron <lists@mycommunitynet.net>

On 5/16/06, Aaron <lists@mycommunitynet.net> wrote: > > 1) How much would I be looking at in machining costs?

That's a relative question. My machine shop charged me from a 12-pack of beer to $20 per wheel depending on the machinist's mood and what I wanted done.

> 2) What wheels work most easily (if not passat '96" alloys)?

Passats had 5 X100mm bolt patterns until the 1997 production year. Go for 1998 and later to get the 5 X 112mm pattern to match a Vanagon's. I heard the new Golf and Jetta lines for 2005 and later have now also switched to the 5 X 112mm pattern but I have not confirmed it yet. Earlier Jettas and Golfs with 5 lugs still use 5 X 100mm.

Go to my Alternative Wheels page for a few other ideas at:

http://hometown.aol.com/bentbtstr8/vanagoncafewheelspage1.html

> 3) How much have you paid for the used wheels?

From free to $2100 per set depending on make, style, size and seller.

> 4) What size tires did you go to?

Again, this is relative to what you want to accomplish. There is too much of this info in the archives. You need to determine the type of driving you want to do and the modifications on your van. Offroad types would have taller side walls and not too big wheels in the 15"-16" range. Road racer type guys go for low profile wheels up to 17"-19" tall. Width is all over the place too. Dokas can get way with wider rears but vans are restricted by their sliding doors unless you add swingarm extensions.

> 5) Will 225/75/15 or 235/75/15 fit?

Yes, on the first w/o modifications but must have correct offset. Yes, on the second but may need to flatten the seam on the rear swingarm. In either case, it will depend on the height of the springs you have on your van.

> 6) Any post upgrade thoughts/suggestion/regrets?

I have plenty of these comments in the archives. I have Vanagons for on and off road. My main advice is don't go too wide and watch you budget. Stay away from 17" wheels are tires are not as easy to get. Anything bigger will probably cost you as much for a set as it cost to buy most vans. I have set that set me back $560 per tire. On the plus side, installation and balancing were included. =) I bought one tire of the same make and size from an owner who bought it by mistake for $50. Dang, I had to pay to mount it.

BenT