Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2006 16:15:15 -0400
From:         Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: suddenly clutch just gone?
Comments: To: Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@pobox.com>

My argument for replacing both was to save the labor and materials of draining and replacing of fluid to the hydraulic system. They will both go anyway eventually and at least I will know when they were last replaced. By the same logic I am doing all three shortly when I replace my transmission. Its a different van than when I did all three together before. I'm also replacing both brake switches because its cheap, it takes no time, and mine are bugging me anyway. If the parts still work when remocved they'll go up on eBay.

Chris

On 5/16/06, Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@pobox.com> wrote: > Or you could buy both, replace the one that's bad, and keep the other under > the back seat. That way, if it breaks on a long trip, at least you've got > the part handy! > > > At 10:43 AM 5/16/2006 -0700, mark drillock wrote: > >I'm with Sam. The clutch slave cylinder lives in a completely different > >and harsher environment than the clutch master cylinder does. There is > >no reason to expect the part with a cushy life to wear out at the same > >rate as the one exposed to engine heat and outside moisture. That said, > >I tend to replace them as a set on Vanagons I intend to keep a long time > >and travel long distances in, unless I know it has already been > >replaced. The slave cylinders fail much more often in my experience. > > > >Mark > > > >Sam Walters wrote: > > > >>Actually, it is the opinion of only some that when one goes the other is > >>sure to follow. > >> > >>As I have posted several times before, I once searched the entire > >>archive for instructions on how to do this job and found folks rather > >>evenly divided over whether replace one or both. Most of those who say > >>replace both do so on the advice of their mechanics. > >> > >>No one has anything other than anecdotal evidence. And every time both > >>are changed, it eliminates the possibility that in that van the one that > >>was still good would continue to function just fine for several more > >>years. > >> > >>The replace both position is repeated more often, but I don't think that > >>this means that the alleged underlying factual assertion, that both > >>fail close to the same time, is actually true. > >> > >>I have changed out 6 slaves in my years of Vanagon ownership but never a > >>master. Others have reported only having master cylinders fail. .... >