Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2006 13:37:16 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      suddenly clutch just gone?
Comments: To: vanagon@FRONTLEFTSPEAKERPOSSE.COM

Chris,

You may find my Technical write-up helpful in diagnosing and replacing your clutch master and/or slave cylinders: http://www.vanthology.com/1Layout/Technical/Clutch1.html

As for whether to replace one or both of the clutch hydraulic cylinders, you'll just have to listen to the conflicting advice and then decide for yourself.

Ron Salmon of Bus Depot fame has chimed in before to note that his informal analysis of sales of these two parts indicate that most who order one cylinder soon order the other, suggesting a tendency toward paired failure. This makes sense to me personally, since the two parts are ALWAYS used together; if you found your driver-side brake pads to be worn, would you be surprised to find your passenger-side pads in equal need of replacement?

On the other hand, some claim to have replaced the slave cylinder far more frequently than the master, citing the harsher conditions found in the engine bay. This is certainly plausible, but seems a minor difference at best, considering how well sealed the slave piston is, beneath its protective bellows.

Personally, I don't enjoy fixin' what ain't broken any more than the next guy, but I ultimately weighed the major inconvenience of a potential breakdown far from home against the relatively minor trouble of doing the job at my leisure, in the comfort of my own garage. Even if you do have the necessary part on board, a failure will still take a good chunk of time out of your precious vacation, and an impatient travel partner may well take a chunk out of something else ...

Good luck!

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi" http://www.vanthology.com/