Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 May 2006 10:43:40 -0700
From:         Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need input on this overheating problem - hot and flashing
              light - SOLVED!!!

I posted this a couple of weeks ago and received input from several folks. I believe I responded to each individual that sent me a response thanking them for their time - if I left someone out, my apologies!

The net-net is folks indicated the following three potential trouble sources: - head gaskets - multiple folks - thermostat - multiple folks - radiator - Dennis Haynes

I was convinced it was the head gaskets also, even though we had already pulled the heads twice and re-did the gaskets. So we replaced the heads with some lightly used AMC heads that were pressure tested and known to be good. Since we had the coolant drained, we did the thermostat as well. Take her out for the maiden voyage - SAME PROBLEM!!!

So then we replaced the radiator with a used unit that was cleaned and pressure tested by a radiator shop. All problems solved!!!

Many thanx to the list members for their input. Especially to Dennis for hitting it on the head. General rule: Never doubt Dennis!!

Apparantly radiators are becoming more of an issue on our Vanagons. I see John posted a similar issue with his Vanagon that was solved with a new radiator.

Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM> wrote: Hey folks,

On our 89, we are having an overheating issue that is stumping us. Here are the symptoms:

- Seems to heat up quickly - compared to our 84 teh needle moves up quicker - Radiator is hot - Both lines to/from radiator are hot - Cooling system has been bled - Radiator fan is coming on - Appears to be some bubbles in the reservoir - almost like a foam - Gets hotter and hotter at idle till the gauge is almost to max hot and starts blinking - On highway, stays hot and the light will start blinking; opening front heat valve tends to stop the blinking but tempo gauge needle does not move down at all

Had the problem and did head gaskets and o-rings. Problem still there. There is a new waterpump already installed. My guess is either a bad thermostat or a cracked head. Is a bad thermostat a poosibility - since the radiator and lines are hot?

Any ideas - PLEASE offer them.

Thanx in advance...

--------------------------------- Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.

--------------------------------- Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make PC-to-Phone Calls using Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.