Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 May 2006 08:38:54 -0400
From:         Greg Potts <Greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: different fuel filter #s for 83.5 Vanagon
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>

Hi Dennis,

I'm not sure this is a good comparison. Modern manufacturers are no longer building vehicles with a 20-year lifespan in mind, VW included.

Modern fuel systems are putting the pump in the tank and using the computer to control fuel pressure so there is no need for a return line. But a GMC Savanna fuel pump assembly costs $700 from the dealer. In 2003 my 2001 Ford Focus had a recall on the "pump-in-tank" the week after it left me stranded.

Maintenance is the key to prolonging the life of a 20-something year old vehicle. Change the filter at the recommended interval (6 months) and you won't have a problem. Changing fuel lines on a regular basis is also a good idea. (5-6 year interval??)

I would rather trust a filter I can replace than a screen or sock inside the tank that I can't see, and I'd rather see it in front of the pump. YMMV.

Happy trails,

Greg Potts Toronto, Ontario, Canada

1973/74/79 Westfakia Conversion **Bob the Tomato** LY3H 1977 Sunroof Automatic L63H/L90D http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia http://www.busesofthecorn.com