Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 May 2006 11:57:45 -0700
From:         chris <vanagon@FRONTLEFTSPEAKERPOSSE.COM>
Subject:      clutch gone - FIXED!
Comments: cc: Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>

THANK YOU to all that sent help my way, it was very nice to have as a reference.

I ended up changing just the slave (i know) and it wasn't nearly as bad as it seemed to be made out to be.

I used a lot of the online write-ups and what I found worth commenting on was:

1. Get a vacuum pump - one-man bleeder. $45 at the local flaps. WOW does that make it easy. I thought I messed something up for sure given how freakin fast and easy it was to bleed the system, and I introduced a LOT of air.

2. That rear (rear is rear) bolt that goes up through the bottom of the mounting plate - mine never budged. everyone referenced that being a real pisssser to get mounted back on the slave, but since mine stayed in place, I just pushed the slave down on the clutch arm and screwed that one half - tight, then did the other.

other than that, it was just like everyone said it would be.

wanting to buy the part locally I ended up paying $84 for it, but I needed it now and couldnt wait for it to be shipped slowly (which would have been the only way to save some money) I figured that $50 from BD is an awesome price and if I could wait for the thing to ship all the way to northern california, I would have purchased it there instead.

my replacement slave has a plastic connector to the arm, which of course seems like a downgrade from the all metal one I just removed, but as long as it dont break anytime soon I guess it'll be alright. I guess just because it was made in germany doesnt always mean its as good as the original. =)

-- Chris '81 (AC) Vanagon Westfalia 'Rocky' nor*cal

frontleftspeakerposse.com