Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 May 2006 22:50:31 -0400
From:         David Gunning <davidgunning@PIVOT.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 Vanagon oil lite shananagons (cont.)

Dennis,

Thanks for the reply. Wonder, however, if you would mind further explaining a couple of your comments: 1) "Overhauling the engine without at least measuring the clearances is possibly a waste of time." and 2) ""need some good diagnoses and possibly look at doing things again." ?

Concerning #1) what "clearances", specifically, are you referring to? and concerning #2) what, specifically, do I need a "good diagnoses" for and what are these "things" that may need "doing. . .again"?

So far as I can tell, the engine rebuild was done as well as to be expected. Are you second guessing otherwise? The dumping of a cup of coolant that happens when the vanagon is shut down while the fan is running, which has happened two, no more than three times, seems more of a curiosity than anything else. I think I may have an extra blue or black coolant cap to replace and try. The engine runs well and overheating is NEVER a problem, except for the above cited cup of coolant anomaly. Maybe you can shut down your 85 1.9L while the fan is running and report back to me if you get any coolant backup? That might be a worthy illustration. Incidentally, I have met one other person with a synchro who had the same anomaly with a small spillage when shutting down while the fan was running.

From the gist of the range of comments from other list members, it seems that installing a set of analogue gauges for oil temp, oil pressure, and a redundant coolant temp gauge might be worthwhile doing. Any suggestion on best available gauges?

The optimum correct oil weight issue is an issue that I'll be looking more closely at. Thanks for the tip.

Dave

davidgunning@pivot.net

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Haynes" <dhaynes@optonline.net> To: "'David Gunning'" <davidgunning@PIVOT.NET>; <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 6:37 PM Subject: RE: 1.9 Vanagon oil lite shananagons (cont.)