Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 May 2006 03:42:13 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Unlikely tool

http://cgi.ebay.com/like-new-railroad-spike_W0QQitemZ6630669844QQcategoryZ95163QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In case anybody thinks Homeland Security is hot after railroad spike thieves.

The are a gazillion abandoned mines around here. I doubt that those have crossed the NSA's radar yet- better get 'em while you can. And yeah, once in a while some moron falls into a mine, too- and they're not even moving.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jake de Villiers" <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 11:48 PM Subject: Re: Unlikely tool

Well, in our little corner of North America the Burlington-Northern line runs right along the beach, behind the houses, then across a corner of Boundary Bay on an ancient wooden trestle. People walk the tracks all the time, sometimes all the way into White Rock. Once in a while some moron gets hit by a train. I don't know how they miss hearing/feeling it, and they are going very slowly, but............maybe Darwin was right. :-)

On 5/18/06, Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@uws.edu.au> wrote: > > > > ate: Thu, 18 May 2006 20:24:59 -0600 > From: George Thorburn <thorgk@ACCESSCOMM.CA> > Subject: Re: Unlikely tool > > >>Gee, there's a railroad track just a couple of miles away, I'll go = > pull > >>one. Anyone else need one too? > > Just walk along the tracks fo a while. You can usually find a loose = > spike that has been left behind by a work crew. > George > '85 Westfalia > > > > While George is certainly correct...used railway spikes are usually all > along a rail line, you should be aware that to "just walk along the > tracks for a while" is actually trespassing on railroad property. > In the last 5 years or so, US railroad companies have become very > paranoid about any unauthorised persons on or about railway > infrastructure without good reason for being there and they will > prosecute you if they find you. > Also increasing safety regulations require anybody with any legitimate > business to be on railway property must have a basic training in safety > and track awareness. Sure I know it's common sense stuff but you still > gotta go through it to be able to be on railway property (and you still > have to have legitimate business being there)...unless you are a > passenger on a station waiting for a train that is... > > If you want to find your own spikes, go to a railway museum and ask some > railway nutter for some old ones. I am sure they will be only too happy > to oblige...I mean, how many do you really need anyway? > > I know there are miles and miles of lonely railway lines where finding a > spike is probably easy...but just be aware that there is far more > surveillance of railways than ever before. > > Sorry to sound like a wet blanket here...there are others out there on > the list far better at that than me ;-) but as a director of a > Not-For-Profit Heritage Railway Company, I hear lot about the new > attitudes to railway trespassing coming out of Nth America... > > Cheers, > Steve O > NSW Australia > '92 Transporter WBX Kombi > '00 Transporter Double Cab > '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) > '78 Land Rover 109 Series 3 soft top ute (ex-Aust.Army) >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com