Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 May 2006 22:55:53 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Qs: Downgrading to fiberglass bumper and spoiler
Comments: To: Oxroad@aol.com

Jeff,

<<1. What has anyone done to replicate the metal front supports for the fiberglass bumper that do not exist with the metal bumper? These are the risers that support the top of the fiberglass bumper near each end of the bumper. In a factory installation the risers are welded to the body and the top the bumper merely rests on the riser. (I suppose this is so a limited weight on the top of the bumper like someone parking their butt there doesn't crack the fiberglass). I would prefer to avoid any welding.>>

You can pop rivet the of screw those pieces onto your steel inner bumper. If you are not overly concerned about putting anything on top of the bumper, they will sit up fine w/o the support. I've been running them like that for years on one of my Vanagon. One alternative I tried is blocks of nylon or pieces of old cutting boards cut to size and stacked to the proper height. Glue them with silicone or hot glue gun. I bought thicker pieces from the remnant rack at Tap Plastics.

<< 2. The lower door protection trim (the "extension" of the front bumper to the bottom of the front doors) is mounted from the factory with the 'bracket for trim protection" riveted to the door. Could this trim bracket be screwed to the door instead of riveted?>>

Pop rivet with plastic rivets is not much more difficult. I suppose screws can work as well.

<< 3. I see the spoiler when factory mounted is secured by bolts into a "riveted cap nut" (part # N 030 400 1). From ETKA it's hard to tell how the riveted cap nut is secured in the body and it seems it might be complicated and I dare say unnecessary Can the spoiler be screwed directly to the body with sheet metal or parker screws-or is that a bad idea?>>

Screws rust. Aluminum or plastic rivets and plastic screws and nuts don't.

Don't forget that there is a bracket on each side of the fibreglass bumper is supposed to bolt onto a small metal console on the underside. That metal console or bracket is welded on the front diagonal outriggers. Your early van will not have this. I use the nylon clock method to fill the gap between how far the bumper brackets mount and the diagonal outrigger.

BenT