Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 May 2006 11:17:11 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Speedometer Ok -Odometer and trip meter dead!?
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>

On the Vanagon odo I have in front of me, the bridge gear disengages the 1/10 th gear well before the mechanism to reverse all the wheels to zero engages. If I slightly push and hold the rest button I can freely spin all the digit positions of the trip meter to whatever numbers I want. I need to push it in about 3 times as far if I want to reset them all to zero.

As to your theory that something could bind the 10ths gear to it's neighbor even after the bridge gear has withdrawn, I suppose it could. Seems unlikely unless someone has sprayed or dripped something in there that they shouldn't have.

None of the 3 versions of 7 VDO Vanagon speedo instruments I just looked at have a pot metal gear visible. The failure prone gear is the plastic one external to and on the input shaft of the main odometer. These tend to crack and then lose their friction hold on the shaft. I have seen some that slipped laterally out of position without any apparent crack.

I push my reset buttons while moving any time I feel the need.

Mark