Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 May 2006 18:30:57 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Speedometer Ok -Odometer and trip meter dead!?

> > Which leads me back to the question: Are there different versions of this > thing, and are some more prone to this failure than others?

Well, I pulled the bad odometer out of my dash pod this morning and disassembled it (the two I worked on yesterday are my working "spares", plus I have a broken one for playing with), and lo and behold... the pressed on pot metal gear on the right was the culprit. It went for the OTHER failure mode these seem to suffer due to a bad press-fit: the shaft worked its way leftwards and fell out of the mounting hole. The press-fit metal gear is apparently the only yhing keeping the shaft in place. Interestingly, I can't seem to get the pot metal gear to turn on the shaft, but I can make the shaft slid left-right inside the gear. Now, my other two spare speedo units have a plastic gear in that position, and those plastic gears are stuck HARD. On my third "destructive test spare" (with cracked mounting holes) I was unable to get the plastic gear to budge at all.

So yeah, it looks like there are two different versions. Metal gear, which comes loose, and plastic gear, which maybe doesn't. The paint-stamp date on the two plastic gear models are 7.90 and 6.90, the metal gear one is 3.90. The cast-in date stamps in the plastic housings are 12/89 and 2/90 for the plastic gear models, and 12/89 for the metal gear one. Either VDO started making 'em with plastic instead of metal sometime between March and June of '90, or they were a random mix. I don't have any older ones to check. The metal gear one was the one that came with my '90 from the factory-- and wasn't working when I got it. I "fixed" it the first time by shoving the axle shaft back into place, but that only lasted 1.5years. I'm definitely not putting that one back in.

I'll see if I can put some pics up... -- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger"