Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 May 2006 01:05:12 -0700
From:         James V <tornadored@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: grey water tank ideas

On 5/23/06 11:27 PM, "Robert Keezer" <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> I saw a very clever tank under a Vanagon recently. It was a large diameter PVC > pipe, capped at both ends. It had an inlet from the sink drain, and a drain > tapped in. > The pipe diameter was about 6" maybe 8". it was about 3-4 feet long.

I'm also interested in this, and other permanent installation ideas. Does anyone have any first-hand experience installing a large-ish (8-12 gal) tank, whether it's PVC, Reimo(?), or custom plastic? (This seems to come up periodically, but I've never heard any first-hand reports)

What are the specific considerations for such a project?

It seems installing the tank itself would be fairly straightforward. What about the inlet/outlet fittings? A clean-out?

Assuming the tank is mounted between the frame rails on the passenger side, it would seem logical that the piping to it would go from the sink drain on the driver side, across the van (below frame rails), then up to the top of the tank. Would the large "trap" that results pose problems? Is there a better routing method? Are there other "flow" issues to be aware of?

I've considered the PVC idea. If my math is right, a 48" length of 8" pipe would hold 10+ gal. But I've found that such large diameter PVC and fittings isn't exactly cheap! I've heard suggestions for using multiple smaller diameter PVC pipes in series... But that seems complicated, and prone to poor flow or stagnant areas.

Those semi-custom plastic marine holding tanks look like a good option and aren't too terribly expensive - maybe the same or less than a DIY PVC set up.

The large 45L (Reimo?) tank offered by eurcampers is nice. But, it won't fit your van if you have Propex Heater inlet/outlets poking through the floor beneath the rear bench.

Very curious,

James V 88 Westy