Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 May 2006 16:44:11 -0700
From:         Zoltan <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: hello from brussels
Comments: To: Robin Oomkes <roomkes@ZONNET.NL>

Hey Robin, You are having the best possible Westy there is. It is white, Hight top, Diesel, Turbo, Low mileage With the gray interior.

This would cost here probably more than a '91 Syncro Westy. Although, I may doubt it because it is not known here. The ones I had in Europe were great, but were of the tan color interior and air cooled. The one I have now in Innsbruck is water cooled but high top. I can't wait to take commission of it this summer.

I hope, you will enjoy it as much as I do. The girlfriend will get used to it. Don't need to mess with the tent set ups and take downs. Here in the US the tent thing is not that big, but very young ones still like it. Welcome back to the List. I may go and visit when I am around that area. Zoltan ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robin Oomkes" <roomkes@ZONNET.NL> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 3:09 PM Subject: hello from brussels

Hi all,

back on the list after a year or so (been lurking for a few weeks). Good to see so many of the old guys are still around, and pleased to meet the new ones!

Moved to Brussels, Belgium, from Leiden, Holland, and now running my 4th Westy (a white low-mileage 1988 Joker 1.6 Turbodiesel, I think it would be called a Vanagon GL in the States).

Went on a one week trip to the Alsace region in northern France with my (low mileage) girlfriend a few weeks ago. Brought the bikes along - she loved it! (although she won't admit it - maintains that proper camping is done in a tent).

When it comes to camping, like Malcolm Stebbins reported in a recent post, there's nothing to beat the Vanagon-based Westies. The newer T4 (Eurovan) and T5 based California models look nice and slick in pictures but are awfully cramped inside - the reason is that the overall length of the vehicle is the same as the T3 but the front seats sit 0.5 m (1.5 ft?) further back due to the engine up front - which leaves less room for living. And do you really want an electro-hydraulically raised pop-top - 10 years from now?

Anyway, that's enough for an introductory rant.

Take care, Robin

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.392 / Virus Database: 268.6.1/344 - Release Date: 2006.05.19.