Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 May 2006 06:26:52 -0400
From:         David Gunning <davidgunning@PIVOT.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.9L Hiccup Remedy?
Comments: To: Ken Lewis <kdlewis_wating_time@ALLVANTAGE.COM>

Thanks to you Ken, Chris, Sam, Shawn and Dave for all the positive thoughts, comments and suggestions concerning Calamity Jane's ongoing electric "hiccup" and possible remedial measures.

Proceeding cautiously, doing the simplier things first. . . .beginning with a new chassis ground strap, if I can order one from one of the list vendors out there, before performing the more radical treatment proposals such as the ECU stress crack brain surgery advocated by Ken, which appeals to my mad scientist side.

In researching possible electric ground fix issues, one definite fix seems to be the use of "dielectric" grease, particularly at the high voltage junctions at the distributor cap and spark plug wires. Anyone trid this? There has been a noticable arcing within the distributor cap. As the nature of electricity is to always seek the shortest path to ground, this may be the real source of most problems. Dielctric grease should help alleviate or eliminate that problem.

Another possible ground fix, albeit in the opposite direction, is the use of silver conductive grease on major gound connections such as where the battery cable connects to the sidewall and the major chassis ground strap on the underneath side. Anyone tried this? As all available silver conductive grease compounds contain only .925 silver (sterling silver) I am preparing my own condustive grease concoction with the use of pure silver, instead. Should make for a an even better connection.

Finally, a good alternative use for all these silver bullets!

Dave

PS: Just for the record, the correct name of the Lone Ranger's horse, I believe, was SILVER, not "Trigger". (Trigger was the name of another famous tv cowboy's horse.) And the correct closing salutation at the close of the Lone Ranger show, I believe, was more like the following: . . ."a cloud of dust, (not smoke) and a hearty HI HO Silver, Up Up and Awaaay."

davidgunning@pivot.net

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Lewis" <kdlewis_wating_time@ALLVANTAGE.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:05 PM Subject: Re: 1.9L Hiccup Remedy?