Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 May 2006 09:50:18 -0600
From:         David McCallum <dmccom@DIMENSIONAL.COM>
Subject:      Idle Stabilizer Valve - Later UPDATE: problem *NOT* solved!
Comments: To: Pablo Bonilla <aylajg@racsa.co.cr>

Well, Pablo, things didn't quite turn out like I thought. While my test drive yesterday was picture-perfect, when I drove the van this morning it was behaving just as it had been before the swap of Idle Control Module. Problem not solved, or somehow my van has killed the ICM that I swapped in.

If I unplug the Idle Stabilizer Valve, the idle drops to where it should be. The ISV is the small tube on top of my 2.1 air distribution box, directly behind the throttle body assembly and connected to it by a curved hose. It has a short hose underneath that connects to the crankcase, and a 2-wire connector on the lefthand side. The Idle Control Module is a small box (looks like a large relay) that is mounted in front of the right rear taillight. Remove the taillight to gain access. The ICM is plugged into a multi-lead connector with a fairly large bundle of wires (~10) coming off of it.

At this point I don't know if the spare I had was bad and just worked yesterday afternoon to toy with me, whether some wiring anomaly caused it to go bad between last night and this morning, or whether it was never the culprit after all. This is damned frustrating! I plan on unplugging the ISV and driving that way until I resolve this, unless I end up constantly stalling out.

I hope you don't mind, but I am posting this to the list to see if anyone has any additional input. I will certainly keep you and the list informed of any progress I make.

Cheers! David McCallum '89 Westy - "Boris"

---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.