Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 May 2006 13:22:50 +0000
From:         joe trussell <vanagongl@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Where to start?
Comments: To: mprui07@yahoo.com

Mindy and List,

I had a very short-lived experience with a 1967 Westfalia Splittie about four years ago.

I posted news of my purchase to the Vanagon list and I received a mountain of emails both through the list and p-mail from members recalling their own experiences (and several cash offers.) So, it's my turn...

I bought it, running and in surprisingly good condition, albeit with the usual rust and tired motor, for the mind-blowing deal of $800 with every intention of turning it into an all-original beauty. I quickly found that I was short of time and money, not to mention a gross lack of knowledge on how to repair rusted rocker panels.

I grudgingly sold it for the same price I paid to a friend at work who had just lost his wife to a heart attack and his son to a far-off college. (And as a selfish secondary aim, I hoped that the act would appease the VW Gods and bring me good fortune with my Vanagons...)

He ordered all original interior pieces, curtains, fabric, etc. from Germany, put in a dual port 1776 motor (I think?) and freeway flyer transmission, disc brakes up front, and new suspension parts all the way around. He did all of the body work himself, perfectly. As the restoration progressed, he would bring it up to work occasionally and let me take it for a spin.

I saw it about six months ago and it is absolutely stunning. The owner and his new fiance can be seen on weekends in campgrounds all over Colorado...

While I didn't actually bring one back to it original beauty, I feel like I had a hand in its resurrection. I dig Vanagons more than any other vehicle, but there is something radiant, positive, and just intrinsically cool about a Splittie.

Congratulations Mindy! Have fun and keep us updated!

Joe T. Denver '85 Wolfsburg Westy EJ22

_________________________________________________________________ Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/