Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 May 2006 10:07:01 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Seized Engine?

To do what is being discussed here (pre-screening posts) would require either someone to hold, read and manually release all posts to the list, which is a practical impossibility as it would be nearly a full-time job, or, would require software filters that in my experience are by their very nature clumsy and unpredictable and would result in a major disruption to the list traffic. Can't see that either is an acceptable alternative particularly since they both involve some individual's mostly subjective judgment being expressed as a kind of 'prior restraint', which in any case is a much worse alternative than having the occasional offensive misfire posted to the list.

What happened here was a very good example of 'bad speech' being met by 'better speech', which is the way it's supposed to work in a society that embraces free expression. I'd guess that the poster got the point and will consider his posts more carefully in the future. If not, the normal pattern for the moderator as it appears to me in my time on the list is to warn the offender the first time, manually hold the offender's posts and read-and-release them or not (mostly not) at his convenience after the second offense and to boot the offender after the third offense. While this doesn't result in a constant warm-and-touchy-feely glow on the list it does work fairly well, as the list is fairly peaceful these days and these incidents are very much the exception rather than the norm. The long-timers can attest to the unbridled rancor that was threatening to overwhelm the list that was very evident even a few years ago when I first joined. In the normal back-and-forth of human interaction there will always be somebody losing control of their inner bonehead and spewing some garbage that all righteous folks will rise up against and for which they will vehemently declare their offense and disgust, and then the matter will be dealt with and things will return to normal and everyone will go back to their business, and so it is here. Most of us try to behave as reasonable adults even if we sometimes fail; I think the current system is working fairly well and is far preferable to having some full-time censor clamping down on us even as we sit before the keyboard.

The idea that the moderator has a 'policy of tacit approval' for every mouth that roars is way off the beam IMO. The idea just makes no rational sense. Even the laws governing near real-time publishing on the Internet such as this list absolve the 'publisher' for the content, for the reasons above, and others. Nobody else is responsible for my speech and I don't want them to be, because then they have authority over it. Nor is it right to hold someone responsible for another's speech, particularly under these conditions.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joy Hecht" <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 9:00 AM Subject: Re: Seized Engine?