Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 May 2006 15:23:17 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [TDI-conversion] What is the best location for an external
              oil cooler?
          Syncro@yahoogroups.com

David,

On the issue of external oil cooler placement, I addressed this at length for my various conversions including the 1.8L gas digifant, the 2.0L turbocharged Audi 3A and the 1Z/AFN TDi. I had tried the Mazda RX6 oil cooler above the transmission w and w/o supplemental air fans, the RX^ and a commercial multiplate as in your image mounted to the frame ahead of the trans with an entry air scoop, and finally, the Audi 5000T external oil coolers mounted behind the rear passenger tire. The last location was/is clearly superior to all the others. This is described in the vanagon archives, but quickly, I opened the floor in the rear compartment to the right of the battery (82 diesel configuration), then mounted two Audi oil coolers (one above the other with a 1 inch gap between and sealed the pair to the edges of the body opening. On the bottom of this stack, I mounted a Daewoo radiator fan (small) to draw air through the stack. This assembly is mounted inside an aluminum fairing that is fully enclosed save for the entry at the vanagon air port and is open directly to the rear of the van. This fully shields the oil coolers from mud and debris from the tire, exhausts to the low pressure zone at the back of the vanagon and draws air from the passenger side vent. I have also added a plastic cover over the battery to make this an enclosed compartment, free of engine heat and ventilated to the rear. I use and identical approach to mount a SAAB intercooler on the drivers sidevent compartment (hole in the base, intercooler bolted to edges of hole, Daewoo fan and rear exhausting fairing of aluminum). I run the fans independently off a thermostatic switch connected to the oil cooler or intercooler body set for a switch-on temperature of 110F. A moderate fabrication hassle, but clean and space efficient. I used the two oil coolers in two different circuits on the turbo install. One was plumbed into the thermostatically switched external oil cooler/filter flange from the 5000T and the other was inline with the scavenging oil pump I used to clear the turbo oil return. On the TDi, I use them in parallel with the hottest oil (from the block) going to the lower cooler and then the cooler oil to the top cooler, then back to the block. No flow or pressure drop problems observed.

Frank Grunthaner