Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 May 2006 06:38:55 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: more radiator discussion. anyone have LED sender unit fail?
Comments: To: shawn feller <feller@CARBONCOW.COM>

The LED controller looks like a relay and is plugged into the relay board above the fuse box. It will usually have a 42 or 43 on it. Yes, they go bad. The circuit on the instrument cluster also goes bad causing the light to go on when it should not and the gauge itself can go bad or go out of calibration. You need to do some real trouble shooting.

Dennis

Doing the replace everything theory of lowering my gauge/LED temp. Next on the list is to replace the radiator due to flow constriction discussions of late. I read in Bentley there is a LED computer unit somewhere, but have seen little in the achieve on this topic. Anyone have experience?

Got the van 6 months ago with temp gauge on 4/8 dead center for a month

Then it dropped to zero, replaced sender unit which got the gauge back in working order

Ever since the sender unit was replaced it has been at 6/8 with intermittent LED flash in stopped traffic

High/Low fan is working up front and can force flow with turning on a/c fan (not compressor)

Replaced gauge sender twice to double check output

Replaced thermostat

Thermal gun shows acceptable temps at thermostat housing and hoses (180 degrees F)

Can check voltage at gauges but from what I have bad voltage there often causes low readings of the temp or fuel gauge not high.

The reason I ask about the LED box is that the LED will continue blinking after starting unless I hold the ignition in the accessory position for a bout 5 sec. then the blinking LED (test mode) will go out after starting. If I attempt to start it right away the LED will continue to blink. The coolant level sender has no affect on this no matter what I do with it and I have cleaned the contacts and tested both will full continuity and no continuity.

Shawn

Ohio