Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 May 2006 11:48:23 -0400
From:         David Gunning <davidgunning@PIVOT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Re- rt rr wheel noise
Comments: To: Ed <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>

If it's not a growl, (translation: deep vibatory rumbling) but rather a "pop-pop-pop" sound, it may well be the cv joint.

Reminds me of coming cross country, a few years ago. Calamity Jane was galloping along, somewhere east of Memphis, bearing down on Nashville, Tennessee, headed for the Blue Ridge Parkway. Suddenly, all of a sudden (notice the redundancy of word usage) when what may have qualified as a "pop-pop-pop" sound made itself known. Limped along into Nashville and into the local equivalant of a nationwide brake and muffler shop. Took a spin around the block with the former heavy champ of the world, and was told, in no uncertain terms, that I needed new rear brakes. Great, I thought to myself, what a lucky circumstance! Here I am needing new rear brakes, and, yes, it was believed, I could prolly be fitted into a very busy shop scheduale that very afternoon for the needed repair.

On my way, again, when twenty miles, or so, further along the hyway, when I hear the "pop-pop-pop" sound, again.

Pulled into a truck stop, saw another mechanic, who said, son, what you need are new rear wheel bearings. Great, I said to myself, what a lucky circumstance!. Here I am needing new rear wheel bearings, and, yes, I could prolly be fitted into a very busy shop scheduale, in a few days. Three days later the new wheel bearings arrived and were promptly installed.

On my way, agiain, when twenty miles, or so, further along the hyway, when I hear the "pop-pop-pop" sound, again.

Pulled into the next sizable town, and there happened to be a VW dealership and repair shop located not too far away. Limped in, where a truly SUPER VW mechanic said, no problem, pull into that empty repair stall, which I did.

In less than thirty minutes he had the upper cv joint on the right side repacked with additional lithium bearing grease and had me on the homeward hyway with no additional problems. Before leaving I asked the SUPER VW mechanic how he was able to figure-out the problem, where others before him had failed to do so and only taken me for a ride?

He smiled that small, quiet Mona Lisa type smile and said, "EASY. . . .I reached up and touched the upper cv joint with my hand, and it was WAY TOO HOT to touch."

And, that's how he was able to quickly identify the problem and NOT REPLACE but repack the original cv joint with additional lithium cv joint grease, pat me on the toosh and send me on my way, again.

I heard no more "pop-pop-pop" sounds, except in recurrant nightmares.

My apology for taking-up so much space with this tale of vanagon woe, but to do so with fewer words may have been somewhat misleading, although I may have been able to portray myself something of a lesser fool for being so trusting of ordinary roadside mechanics.

Dave

davidgunning@pivot.net

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ed" <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 10:08 AM Subject: Re- rt rr wheel noise

I've got a noise from my 85 as well, , on the right rear side. I would call it a quick "pop-pop-pop" rather than a growl, though. Is this more likely a cv joint? I was going to order one today.

Ed