Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 May 2006 22:43:03 -0500
From:         "Mark A. Kreuzer" <markk@OURWESTY.COM>
Subject:      Bilstein Shock Report - Long

Preface:

My wife and I took an overnight 230 mile shake down cruise in our 85 Westy to test the 3 weeks worth of suspension and brake work I completed. We just moved to Texas 9 months ago and people warned us about a lot of stuff concerning Texas (the heat, bugs, etc) but they neglected to mention the wind. I guess I had heard about the wind but to experience it has been something else.

The background and report:

I drove the van back from Boston in March on Boge shocks. They might have been original equipment but don't know. I experienced some pretty good wind, 20 to 25 mph and blow by from Trucks. I was always hanging on from dear life and did not enjoy those times.

After reading the list, I decided on Bilstein's because of they seemed to be the right for the kind of in town and highway driving I do. With 4 new Shocks we drove the 230 miles in a 25 to 35 mph cross wind. Trees and bushes were bent over and even the giant flags were really snapped to attention. It was like we were driving a completely different vehicle. I could feel the wind and gusts but as I tightened up and braced for control the van didn't really move. On the way back the wind was even a stronger and my wife did have to fight with the van a little but nothing like before.

Cornering seems to be better; still no roadster but I doesn't roll over nearly as much.

The ride is not as harsh as it was. probably because the Boges were completely collapsed.

About the old shocks: When I took off the old Boges they we really easy to compress and had absolutely no rebound.

I give the Bilstein's a huge thumbs up. There are probably a lot of other good shocks out there but I couldn't be happier with these. I have no idea how long they'll last but knowing what the difference feels like I won't hesitate to put on new shocks in the future.

-- mark

85' Westy - The Kenny Huang - Zetec Inside