Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 May 2006 17:16:41 -0400
From:         David Gunning <davidgunning@PIVOT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Under Floor Water Tank Still Needed
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@rcn.com>

Er, nothing "wrong" with plumber's solder, per se, I suppose, so long as it's not from an old roll in your grandfather's tool box. If so, it likely contains lead, which if overly ingested in food, water or air particles can turn your brain to mush, over time. Other than that it MIGHT BE fine. Lots of the solder on the market today contains antimony instead of lead. Which may mean that instead of merely turning to mush, your brain may merely turn orange with green stripes and canary yellow polka dots in a few years, instead.

Most copper bowl, cups, turns (sp?) and other items of traditional copperware for the dining table, such as made by Paul Revere, etc., usually had silver solder so that the items could contain piping hot foods without fear of a low temperature solder melting into the soup.

One consideration might be that if you are traveling somewhere where road temperature can top 120 degree F, and your unit is secured under the floor of the vehicle, that radient road heat might cause leakage, if the melting temperature of the solder is less than the temperature of the road.

This is America and can you solder with any dang temperature solder you decide is best for your purpose and needs.

Dave

davidgunning@pivot.net .

Most modern plumbing solder is "lead free", these days ----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Alofs" <lalofs@rcn.com> To: "David Gunning" <davidgunning@PIVOT.NET> Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 4:47 PM Subject: Re: [VANAGON] Under Floor Water Tank Still Needed