Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 May 2006 08:11:22 -0400
From:         David Bohannan <fjazzbass@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.9L Hiccup Remedy?
Comments: To: David Gunning <davidgunning@pivot.net>

Dave,

I am gonna go out on a limb here, but I know when i had bucking probs with my vanagon it was cured by running new ground...straight from the battery to the starter...

I never got around to removing it and clean and fix the real ground....

Could you have a loose ground somewhere that is getting sort of knocked out of place when you go over the bump?

Just a thought...

Dave 85 GL "Baby Bus" 85 "Goldy"

On 5/23/06, David Gunning <davidgunning@pivot.net> wrote: > > You mean one of those expensive 6" extention cords that plugs into the Air > Flow Meter? Did not realize they were specifically designed for the 2.1L, > but in any event I have one of those, already. No, not sure what the > "vanagon syndrome" is exactly, but the symptom of this "hiccup" is that it's > very much like a backfire. Sometimes there is even a puff of black smoke > that pops from the exhaust when It happens. Makes me feel kinda like the > "Lone Ranger" where when they used to say at the end of the show:"with his > trusted companion Tonto, his horse Trigger, and with a cloud of smoke, Up, > Up and awaaaay, The Lone Ranger Rides, Again!" > > I suspect it is a momentary grounding short curcuit of the primary > electric caused by the jolt of the bump. I have noticed, at previous times, > that the inside of the distributor cap has been obviously zapped by high > voltage, and that when the distrutor cap is replaced with a new distributor > cap the problem is eliminated, for the time being. Must have something to > do with the high voltage requirement of the fuel injector negatively > impacting the operating system electrical capacity by a sudden big bump. > > Maybe it's the distributor worn somewhere and that that gets jostled and > momentarily shorts out, causing a backfire. Of course, the same symptom > could maybe be caused by the ignition system momentarily shorting-out, for > some unknown reason. > > I will say one thing for sure, there is never a dull moment when dealing > with the bucking bronco mentality of a VW vanagon motor. > > And I can't never seem to find a silver bullet when I really need one! > > Dave > > davidgunning@pivot.net > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: JordanVw@aol.com > To: davidgunning@PIVOT.NET ; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 2:42 AM > Subject: Re: 1.9L Hiccup Remedy? > > > i dont know if this is a coincodence or what, but i used one of those > "vanagon syndrome" AFM harness connectors (designed for a 2.1L) on my 1.9Land havent had that problem since... > > chris > > In a message dated 5/22/06 5:47:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time, > davidgunning@PIVOT.NET writes: > > > > > Used to be that one of my vanagon's deepest, darkest secrets was the > occasional need to "hiccup" (cough, cough) while tooling along down the > road, minding it's own business. It usually happens when going over a big > bump in the road, a dreaded Maine leftover winter frostheave or springtime > bottomless-pit-all-consuming pothole. The usual treatment, which seems to > work, is to change the sparkplugs, which eliminates the problem until the > next time it happens. > > Recently spied a reference to someone else citing the "dreaded vanagon > hiccup" on an internet web site, which suggests to me that this may be more > a common problem than I initially realized. > > Wonder if there are any other vanagon drivers willing to come out of > the closet concerning this issue? > > And, more significantly, what might be done (cough, cough) to > eliminate the problem. > > Dave > > davigunning@pivot.net >

-- Dave - KC9FYM http://fjazzbass.blogspot.com