Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 May 2006 11:29:39 -0400
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.9L Hiccup Remedy?

There are many sensors and wiring connections in the Fuel Injection system and it wiring harness that can cause an intermittent operation problem.

Many times on the list people post after their mechanic has charged them for lots of time and parts and yet not cured one of these problems (or other operational problems). And a reasonable percentage of the time the cure is one related to bad grounds or bad wiring. In other words nothing had been accomplished by the previous work and parts.

Grounds far from the problem area, such as the one on the transaxle nose, can create the problem. It is not just loose grounds, but ones with corroded connections.

One of these problems is the original "Vanagon Syndrome" which is caused by a worn track in the AFM. When the tip of the sensor arm in there sits over that spot for some length of time during highway driving, it sends intermittent signals to the ECU leading it to temporarily cut out. There are three fixes. First, there is the expensive harness built by VW which plugs in between the usual connection from the harness to the AFM and AFM itself. Second, there is the Capacitor fix. A capacitor is soldered across two of the 4 wires in the connection of the AFM and stabilizes the output signal, preventing the drop offs from the worn spot. The ECU doesn't get erratic signals and the van runs smoothly. This replicates part of what the harness addition from VW does. Doing both 1 and 2 would be redundant. The third fix actually attempts to remove the worn spot from the operation of the AFM. The AFM top is removed to reveal the internal electronics. There is a small circuit board with an arc on it inside. The board is loosened and moved a small distance so that the arm doesn't travel over quite the same arc and misses the worn spot. This supplements 1 and 2, or maybe, if tried first, obviates the need for either one of them. Many have done this successfully. I tried this on one spare AFM box and could never get the board loose.

There are literally mountains of information about this in the vanagon.com archives, and on individual websites. I have a pile of information about it stored on my hard drive, some of which is quite old since I downloaded it when I first joined Vanagon.com and had an intermittent bucking problem in my 84. This turned out to be cause by another part which was far cheaper than the AFM and took 5 minutes to install. I too had given at least $1000 to mechanics over a 2 year period trying to solve the problem. It would have been far more, but nice guy gave me back my money when he install a new ECU and the car quit on me the next morning leaving me stranded on the other side of Baltimore.

I will send out a group of files to anyone who asks me by tomorrow (Wednesday morning). Included will be more than info about the AFM related Vanagon Syndrome, as there are other gremlins that can attack the FI system and cause similar problems. These are the same files I have sent out before.

-- Sam Walters Baltimore, MD

89 Syncro GL, Zetec Inside 85 Westy Weekender 85 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbodiesel - to become veggie oil powered

All incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.