Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 May 2006 14:14:25 -0400
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fuel line connection check - heads up!
Comments: To: "Giasson, Pascal (DNR/MRN)" <Pascal.Giasson@GNB.CA>

Pascal,

Don't know that I would replace the metal fuel line connector with another plastic one. I'd stick with the metal one unless it is rusting through, which is highly unlikely I think. It is the old plastic that people say you should replace. Plastic gets brittle with age and is somewhat brittle when new.

Old fuel lines get brittle, particularly in the area just before and under the clamp. Then the clamp can no longer work to prevent leakage, no matter how much you tighten it. Over tightening may worsen the cracking.

Don't over tighten new lines - it will hasten cracking. They need enough compression to prevent leaking, not more than that.

I had the same leak on my Syncro in its last WBX days. Found it while stuck out of town during the heavy snow storm in Feb of 03. Literally everything in MD was closed and all the roads in the state were closed. Luckily I was in a friend's garage. I finally figured out that the last 1/2 inch of both hoses clamped to that metal connector were dry, hard and showing slight cracking no matter how tightly clamped. I had enough slack in the line to take about 5/8th inch or so off the end of each line. Then I had fresh rubber that hadn't been clamped down for years. Reattached everything and watched it carefully and frequently for a long time. Both several long viewings before driving away when the lifted the travel ban and for days and weeks afterwards. Never saw any signs of leakage. None anywhere else. Was going to replace all the lines and clamps, but then did the conversion.

I think everyone who doesn't know when the last time the fuel lines were replaced on your van should at least plan to watch it run for several minutes after starting cold today or sometime very soon. Then, if you don't see leakage, go drive it around and get it good and hot and stop and watch it run. (If you see leakage after the cold start, you don't go out and drive it for any more checking.)

Not a bad idea to replace the lines if it hasn't been done any time in recent years, but certainly go check to make sure there is no leakage now. Look carefully around each injector and all other connections.

My weekender came with new lines that were installed when it got a rebuilt engine a few months earlier, and, of course, the conversion in the Syncro has all new lines.

If anybody needs it, I have one VanAgain fuel replacement kit here along with the injector gaskets. I'll ship it to you cheap USPS for $48, shipping included.

-- Sam Walters Baltimore, MD

89 Syncro GL, Zetec Inside 85 Westy Weekender 85 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbodiesel - to become veggie oil powered

All incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.