Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 May 2006 14:45:07 -0400
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: grey water tank ideas

But how do you get the water to run up to the luggage rack?

What am I missing here?

Joy

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon

For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://www.joyhecht.net

:::-----Original Message----- :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf :::Of Jim Felder :::Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 8:30 PM :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM :::Subject: Re: grey water tank ideas ::: :::Trouble with most grey water solutions is that the grey water tank :::isn't nearly as large as the westy's tank, and there's nothing to let :::you know when you've overdone it, especially in an open system where :::the water can't back up in the drain to tell you it's time to empty :::it, which is never at a good time to empty it. ::: :::I camp with at least my wife and sometimes with a number of others, :::in tents and other vehicles, and no matter how well prepared the :::others are they seem to gravitate to the convenience of the westy :::kitchen maybe more than they should. I've had the grey water :::arrangement run out of space on a number of occasions, especially :::when we're parked for longer than a single day. ::: :::The solution to the problem, which I originally resisted (tried :::everything I could think of and that the list could think of first) :::was---who'd-thunk it--a grey water tank! Blue, on wheels, holds 15 :::gallons, light, fits in the "luggage rack" and probably makes it more :::aerodynamic. Wheel it to the dump station when you get all 120 pounds :::of grey water in there, and you'll be glad you brought it. ::: :::Anyway, we're fairly frugal, but we do real cooking and travel with a :::grandchild often. No more getting out in the dark with a flashlight :::to see if I am "over quota." ::: :::Jim ::: ::: :::On May 22, 2006, at 4:44 PM, Kim Brennan wrote: ::: :::> I stole my idea from Ian. Go to your local flaps and get one of those :::> oil change containers which has the big (8 inch?) diameter openings. :::> Take off the yellow cover and drop it on the ground under the drain. :::> When you are ready to leave put the cover back on, and drain it when :::> you get to an appropriate place (dump site at the campground, or :::> toilet, or some such). The container itself is small enough to store :::> under the bench in back, and it is a really fast simple method to :::> contain your gray water. :::>