Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 May 2006 17:37:32 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bilstein shock installation
Comments: To: dan kapeller <dkapeller@hotmail.com>

If you're referring to the small steel bushing that fits in the step on the shaft, it is required to keep the upper rubber bushings compressed and aligned. It is always good to put mechanical assemblies back how they were!

Jake

On 5/30/06, dan kapeller <dkapeller@hotmail.com> wrote: > > Just a quick summary of my Bilstein shock install this weekend. I planned > a Saturday morning attack, but I started on Friday evening, just to get the > van jacked up and explore the scene. > > With the back end on stands, and the wheels off, I thought I'd check bolts > for rust, just to test the water.....and the next thing I knew, the rears > were installed! I moved to the fronts, just to confirm that they would > require a professional, and poof! they were done. The only moment of doubt > came when I realized that I needed to omit the small bushing-washer-thing on > the fronts. It was the only way the shock would fit in the rubber boot > correctly. I hope this is OK?? The entire job took about 2.5 hours > including clean-up, and it was still Friday evening! A cold beer and > cookies while the sun was setting. > > I used all the advice that was sent to me by list members, ie, two jack > stands, extra jack to manipulate the springs, saving the beer for later.... > I guess the collective good karma from the list made the job one of the most > enjoyable ever. Having very little rust on the bolts probably helped too. > > Thanks to eveyone for the encouragement. The van drives like never > before! Why did I wait so long to do this?? > > As a newbie to the list, I must state the obvious: "the members on this > list are awesome." > > thanks again, > > Dan Kapeller > > '90 GL >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com