Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 May 2006 13:50:37 -0400
From:         Daniel Gordon <dangordon0128@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Trip Report - "Hi-Torque" starter and leaky gas tank
Comments: To: adventurewagen@yahoogroups.com

Well, we made it to Oakland from Philadelphia in four days out rt. 80. Terrible cross-winds and a leaky gas tank (only when completely filled) were the only major complications. It seems we need to rebuild the "venting system" on the gas tank to stop the leaking.

Made good time but we are upset that we didn't get to seee anything because we had to race through.

Had major issues before we started with a "hi-torque" starter from randymofoco on Ebay. It died after 1 month and had to be rebuilt. Apparently these starters are basically the toyota celica with a vanagon mount. tried to deal with vendor and I have had no response except "send it back and they will try to fix it" riiiiight... thats conveinient! paid the $80 to rebuild and now will spread the bad word about it to the list cause it really needs to be known. They said it would outlast my van... I'm a sucker, what can I say.

Got much help and responses from the llist. What an outstanding resource. I will be in oakland until (about) friday and then off to Long Beach Washington. Didn't see many buses on the way out, but the couple we saw were very friendly! Thanks eveyone!

Dan Lora Pebbles (our cat is with us) Marklar (83 subie adventurewagen)