Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 May 2006 16:18:44 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Spare Tire Holder

I'm using a modified stock clamshell to hold my 215/65-16 Hakka spare. I don't use the stock "bar" that also serves as the hinge-bolt. I use stainless bolts, but have added a hinge so the back end of the clamshell drops about 1 1/2" (see pix). I also run the spare deflated and that made a significant difference. I obviously have a small electric pump and almost always have a bicycle pump in my van due to my other favorite activity.

My wheel/tire diameter is 27". The width is something like almost 9", so these tires are fat puppies and that's what causes most of the distress in fitting. I'm not certain that I actually need the drop-hinge modification since getting these tires but have not taken the time to see if the tire fits without it. There is alot of space at that end of the spare compartment, and the front of the clamshell rests against the tire and the tire against the upper part of the spare "hole".

No tire wobble and rattle in there. I just came back from driving many miles on some pretty rought roads in Canyonlands without any problems where the spare is concerned.

Just for kix, deflate your spare and try putting it in your current clamshell set up so you know exactly what you are dealing with using that as a starting point

Bob Stevens '87 Westy Syncro "Passion Fruit"

On 5/31/06, joe trussell <vanagongl@hotmail.com> wrote: >My new spare 14" vanagon alloy with 205/70/14 tire does not fit in my spare >tire carrier. > >After researching the archives, I've found that apparently the older >Vanagons (1985 here) have a smaller carrier, not as deep. Different part >number, even. And, apparently the rad hoses are different on later models >to create more space for a larger spare? > >Does anybody know of a way to fit the sucker in there without rubbing or >hitting anything important? If I cut the top bars, will the tire bounce >around too much, pinch a hose, or rub the steering gear? > >I appreciate any suggestions! > >Thanks, >Joe