Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 May 2006 15:25:59 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: FRYDAY: RE-OPEN VANAGON ASSEMBLY
Comments: To: Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@vanagonparts.com>

On 5/31/06, Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@vanagonparts.com> wrote:

> Ben, > > Is that a truly "legal" way, or one of those gray area imports that slide > by? Being an RI, I'm pretty cognizant of the rules and regulations > regarding the import of vehicles. As far as I know, any vehicle LEGALLY > brought into this country for use as a daily driver is required to go > through crash worthiness testing, brake testing, lighting testing, and, of > course, EPA testing. There are exceptions for vehicles brought in as > show/display, race, for testing, etc.

Jeff, we don't all know everything. I certainly don't. However, as I said before there are exceptions to every rule.

> I can guarantee you one thing, you'll never get it registered in > California > without fulfilling all those nifty EPA and CARB requirements.

Well, you see you are reading between the lines. I do not recall ever saying they do not need to meet EPA and CARB requirements. Registration in California should be no problem w/o side stepping into another Country or friendly State first. Since this will start getting into the realm on trade secrets for some people, I feel it's time to take this to pmail. Since I am not interested in entering into the automotive business or commercial importation of vehicles, I am happy to have an intellectual discussion about this with "qualified" interested individuals. Sounds like a good topic for Van-O-Rama in September. I promise to discuss this with you if you show up for VOR. =)

BenT