Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 May 2006 15:36:01 -0800
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Propane valve question

I believe that my question was discussed recently but I did not find the posting in the archives that I was looking for so I am asking those in the know re Westy propane systems to share their knowledge again. Our `87 Westy Syncro has a leak from the auto-stop fill valve. It appears to be leaking from the front(forward) side of the valve assembly above the 90 degree fitting for the 80% bleed relief. Is this valve repairable or does it need replacement. If replacement is the answer is there a direct replacement for it or do you have to convert to a different type? I asked a local propane supplier and their response is that the Manchester auto-stop valve was a poor design and is no longer available. Their suggestion was to either replace the tank with a new one or convert to a manual fill and 80% valve. They did warn that using the manual valve would require both advising and supervising anyone filling the tank so as to not over fill it. All recommendations and advice appreciated. Thanks, Mark in AK