Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 May 2006 14:43:13 -0400
From:         David Gunning <davidgunning@PIVOT.NET>
Subject:      CV Relubrication 85-1.9L?

Noticed recently after a 50 mile drive that the vanagon upper cv joints were mildly warm to touch. Already think I know from previous experience that when they get lubricant starved they can get TOO HOT to touch. I wonder if anyone knows if running "mildy warm" can be considered the normal running temperature or whether this might be a indicator that's it's a good time to repack the upper cv shaft end joints with lithium grease?

When repacking the upper cv shaft joint end with new grease, is it required to remove the whole shaft or can the bolts be backed-off and the nozzle of a tube of lithium grease in a caulking gun be slipped into between the cv shaft joint end and the tranny, and the cv joint squirted full with lithium grease with a caulking gun without disconnecting the shaft from the tranny?

Furthermore, when regreasing the bottom or wheel end of the cv shaft joint, that whole shaft, seems to me, MUST BE REMOVED from the rear axle box it resides in. If anyone knows another way this can be repacked with lithium grease, without being totally disengaged and removed, I would be very interested to know how it's done.

Because of the diameter differences between the upper and lower end of the turning distance of the two cv shaft joint ends, it makes common sense to me that the upper cv shaft joint would wear and require relubrication more frequently than the lower shaft end cv joint would, all other factors being equal. Is this really true, or is it just me?

My personal theory aside, anyone know for certainty if this is really accurate and true, that . . . .the upper cv shaft joint end needs replacement grease more often than it's opposite counter part, the lower cv shaft joint end?

Thanks.

Dave

davidgunning@pivot.net